Sunday, May 23, 2010

Politics and the Gaming Industry

“There was money to be had for our campaign, but unfortunately always money that we could not take. As soon as it became evident that we had a real movement, we began to have visits from well-dressed, smooth-spoken persons familiar with politics, who offered us the solution to all our problems. The first was a representative of a group of men who conducted a gambling game, and at that time were taking sixty-five thousand dollars a day from the people of Los Angeles. All these people wanted to know was that if I was elected Governor I would let them alone. On that basis I could have ‘anything within reason.’ I never found out how much that was, because I told the gentleman that we were not making political promises, except those in our program.”

Upton Sinclair, I, Candidate for Governor and How I Got Licked (1934).

No comments:

Post a Comment