Thursday, May 27, 2010

Duchess

A woman holding a position of nobility equal to that of a duke.

"After this she was given in charge to Sir Thomas Stanley, and began her eighteen years' imprisonment in one castle after another far from London and the scenes of her many triumphs. So 'Eleanor, lately called Duchess of Gloucester,' as she is henceforth styled, passes; and the manner of her passing, her pride and her high station made a great impression on all at the time. The chroniclers record the whole episode with unusual fullness, and a contemporary poem, The Lament of the Duchess of Gloucester, puts into verse what must have been the half-formed thoughts of many:

In worldly joy and worthynes

I was besette on every side;

Of Glowcestere I was duches,

Amonge alle women magnifyed.

As Lucifer felle down for pryde,

I felle from alle felycyté:

I hade no grace my self to gyde;

Alle women may be ware by me.

Farewelle, London, and have good day;

At thee I take my leve this tyde.

Farewelle, Grenwych, for ever and ay;

Farewelle, fayre places on Temmys syde;

Farewelle, alle welthe and the world so wide.

I am assigned where I shall be;

Under mens kepying I must abide.

Alle women may be ware by me.

Farewelle, my mynstrels, and all your songe,

That ofte hath made me for to daunce.

Farewelle; I wott I have done wronge;

And I wyte my mysgovernaunce.

Now I lyste nother to pryke nor praunce;

My pryde ys put to poverté.

Thus, both in Englond and in Fraunce,

Alle women may be ware by me.

Six Medieval Men & Women, "Henry, Duke of Gloucester," H. S. Bennett (1955).

No comments:

Post a Comment