Thursday, May 27, 2010

Censor

The title of two magistrates in ancient Rome who drew up the register or census of the citizens, etc., and had the supervision of public morals; an official in some countries whose duty it is to inspect all books, journals, dramatic pieces, etc., before publication, to secure that they shall contain nothing immoral, heretical, or offensive to the government. (OED)

"Caesar, if you should chance to handle my book,

I hope that you'll relax the frowning look

That rules the world. Soldiers are free to mock

The triumphs of you emperors--there's no shame

In a general being made a laughing-stock.

I beg you, read my verses with the same

Face as you watch Latinus on the stage

Or Thymele the dancer. Harmless wit

You may, as Censor, reasonably permit:

My life is strict, however lax my page."

Martial, The Epigrams (85 AD).

No comments:

Post a Comment