Friday, August 9, 2013

Proust + Vermeer's Milkmaid

A woman who delivers containers of fresh milk.

"The entry of the young milkmaid immediately stripped me of my contemplative calm. I dreamt of nothing except to make my tale of having a letter for her to deliver seem plausible, and I began to write rapidly, hardly daring to look at her, not to appear to have summoned her just for that. She was endowed with the charm of the unknown, which for me would not grace a pretty girl found in one of those houses where they wait for you. She was neither nude nor in a costume, but an actual milkmaid, one of those whom one imagines to be so pretty when one has no time to draw nearer; she had something of what constitutes life's eternal desire and eternal regret. whose alternating current ultimately runs off and doubles back upon us."

Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time, (1922)
[Translated by R. G. Voorhees]
(Click here to learn more about the film "Proust + Vermeer.")

No comments:

Post a Comment