Saturday, August 10, 2013

Celine on the Qualities of a Nice Assistant

A helper. A term that could refer to anyone from a rank neophyte to an expert still waiting to succeed.

“In principal, always and in all things, I was of the same opinion as my boss. I hadn’t made much practical progress in the course of my harassed existence, but even so I had learned the proper etiquette of servitude. All of a sudden with Baryton, thanks to this disposition, in the end we became friends, I never contradicted him, I ate little. A nice assistant in short, completely economical, without a speck of ambition, not threatening.”

(“En principe, pour toujours et en toutes choses j’étais du même avis que mon patron. Je n’avais pas fait de grands progrès pratiques au cours de mon existence tracassée, mais j’avais appris quand même les bons principes d’étiquette de la servitude. Du coup avec Baryton, grâce à ces dispositions, on était devenus bien copains pour finir, je n’étais jamais contrariant moi, je mangeais peu à table. Un gentil assistant en somme, tout à fait économique et pas ambitieux pour un sou, pas menaçant.”)

Louis Ferdinand Céline, Voyage au bout de la nuit (1932).
[Translated by R. G. Voorhees]

No comments:

Post a Comment