Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Squire

In the military organization of the later Middle Ages, a squire is a young man of good birth attendant upon a knight. One ranking next to a knight under the feudal system of military service and tenure (OED).

"One day, then, when I would have joined Herr Neidhart and his troopers in their hostel, who indeed were mostly drunken, there among others I met this aforesaid Ape, and he was very heavy with drink and had much wind in his nose, and spake strange words. 'What brings this squireling hither?' quoth he; 'is he also to be one of us?' and suchlike scornful words, wherewith he thought to provoke me to wrath. This angered me, and I answered him 'What care I for thy scornful speeches and thy drunkenness? If we meet one day in the field, then we will see who of us twain is squire, and who is trooper.'"

Goetz von Berlichingen, Autobiography (1502).

No comments:

Post a Comment