Friday, May 27, 2011

Cordwainer

A worker in cordovan leather (i.e., tanned goatskin or horse hide). A shoemaker.

“‘Well, what's the matter with you? Sit down “and give your foot to the Gentleman.”’ In fact, my dear friend, the Gentleman was a Cordwainer. I can't tell you how embarrassed I was: fortunately, only Mother was there to see. When I'm married, I don't think I will use this particular Cordwainer any more."

[“‘Eh bien, qu’avez-vous? Asseyez-vous “et donnez votre pied a Monsieur.”’ En effet, ma chere amie, le Monsieur etait un Cordonnier. Je ne peux te rendre combien j’ai ete honteuse: par bonheur il n’y avait que Maman. Je crois que, quand je serai mariee, je ne me servirai plus de ce Cordonnier-la.”]

Chaderlos de Laclos, Les Liaisons Dangereuses (1782).

No comments:

Post a Comment