Monday, January 31, 2011

Taxidermist

Someone who preserves, stuffs, and poses dead animals so that they appear bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

“Gussie, I was sorry to observe, did not share my sunny confidence. Possibly I had not given him a full enough explanation of the facts in the case, or it may have been that, confronted with Spode in the flesh, his nerve had failed him. At any rate, he now retreated to the wall and seemed, as far as I could gather, to be trying to get through it. Foiled in this endeavour, he stood looking as if he had been stuffed by some good taxidermist, while I turned to the intruder and gave him a long, level stare, in which surprise and hauteur were nicely blended. ‘Well, Spode,’ I said, ‘what is it now?’”

P. G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters (1938).

No comments:

Post a Comment