Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Necromancers

A soothsayer who conjures up or communicates with the dead.

"'I am willing to refer the case to divine arbitration. And here is Zatchlas the Egyptian, one of the leading necromancers of his country, who has undertaken, for a large fee, to recall my nephew's soul from the Underworld and persuade it to reanimate the corpse for a few brief moments.'...The necromancer, yielding to his entreaties, touched the corpse's mouth three times with a certain small herb and laid another on its breast. Then he turned to the east, with a silent prayer to the sacred disk of the rising sun... Presently the breast of the corpse began to heave, blood began to pour again through its veins, breath returned to its nostrils. He sat up and spoke in a querulous voice: 'Why do you call me back to the troubles of this transitory life, when I have already drunk of the stream of Lethe and floated on the marshy waters of the Styx? Leave alone, I say, leave me alone! Let me sleep undisturbed."

Apulieus, The Golden Ass (2nd Century A.D.)

[translated by Robert Graves].

No comments:

Post a Comment