Friday, August 7, 2009

A Caster in Plaster

Someone who works with plaster; someone who plasters buildings; someone who manufactures figures from plaster.

"...I to my wife, and with her to the plaisterer's at Charing Cross that casts heads and bodies in plaister, and there I had my whole face done; but I was vexed first to be forced to daub all my face over with pomatum: but was pretty to feel how soft and easily it is done on the face, and by and by, by degrees, how hard it becomes, that you cannot break it, and sits so close that you cannot pull it off, and yet so easy that it is as soft as a pillow, so safe is everything where many parts of the body do bear alike. Thus was the mould made; but when it came off there was little pleasure in it as it looks in the mould nor any resemblance, whatever there will be in the figure when I come to see it cast off, which I am to call for a day or two hence, which I shall long to see."

Samuel Pepys, Diary (February 10, 1669).

No comments:

Post a Comment